Shaughnessy First Grade Remote Learning Support
Please use this as a resource to support the Lowell Public Schools Remote Learning Resources. We wanted to provide you with examples and choices of activities that would help our students and families meet the Lowell Public Schools Remote Learning Model of suggested learning per week. We suggest that you choose one activity per learning area under the LPS Remote guidelines.
Literacy/Phonics (10-20 minutes a day)
Learn about vowel teams in words and how they work together to make a long vowel sound:
Remember these vowel team snap words? Study and use them in a sentence: each, away, wait, easy, eat, beat, seat beach, teacher, goal, brain, clean, boats, need, near
Listening: Read the story in Citizenship in this week’s packet
A graduate is a citizen, too. Shout out to all the graduates you may know by
Drawing a Graduate!
Reading (At least 20 minutes a day).
Reading can also come from other subjects, such as social studies, science, etc.
- Week 12 Packet provides a number of activities families can choose from.
- Read a fiction book each day (either from home or online) and use the fiction chart “Reader’s Meet Character’s Along the Way” page in the Week 10 Packet to talk about the book.
- Notice how the characters act, feel, and talk. What are some words you would use to describe that character? What was the lesson in the story? What was the problem in the story and how did they fix it?
- Make sure to send a photo or video to your child’s teacher so they can receive credit for their work.
- Take turns reading pages of a book out loud. Notice how the characters act, feel, talk, and read each page with expression.
- Read the story Club Monster. Talk about the story with your family.
- Create a Summer Reading plan to keep learning and reading all summer!
- Click here and listen to a Shaughnessy staff member read a story or two.
- OR, click here and choose i-Ready Reading, or Lexia
- OR, click here and read a book on TumbleBooks (username- fairfax password- fairfax )
Writing (20 minutes a day)
- Week 12 Packet
- Narrative writing (Narrative writing is writing that has a story, characters, conflict, and other essential parts of a story).
- Monday- Every story has a beginning, middle, and end. Write the beginning part of your story and draw a picture to match. Make sure your pictures have word bubbles. Also describe what your characters are doing and how they are feeling. Write exact actions that your characters are doing. Example; Wiggling, jumping, clapping, etc.
- Tuesday- Write the middle part of your story. Draw a picture to match. Make sure your pictures have word bubbles. Also describe what your characters are doing and how they are feeling. Write exact actions that your characters are doing. Example; Wiggling, jumping, clapping, etc.
- Wednesday- Write the ending of your story. Draw a picture to match. Make sure your pictures have word bubbles. Also describe what your characters are doing and how they are feeling. Write exact actions that your characters are doing. Example; Wiggling, jumping, clapping, etc.
- Thursday- Reread your narrative writing piece and add more detail to your beginning, middle, and end.
- Friday- Reread your narrative writing piece and look for any spelling mistakes, random capitals, make sure there are spaces in between your writing, make sure your sentences start with capital letters, and make sure your sentences have an ending mark. ( period, question mark, exclamation mark)
Math (30 minutes a day)
- Online: Click here and choose i-Ready math.
- Here are additional activity suggestions that do not use technology.
- OR, here are activities from the LPS packet:
- Week 12 Work Packet (choose one for each day of the week)
- Missing addend practice sheet
- Related addition and subtraction practice sheet
- Mixed addition and subtraction practice sheet
- Lesson 19 exit ticket
- Lesson 20 exit ticket
- 3D shapes practice page
- Lesson 15 problem set
- Quick tens practice page
Science (30 minutes per week)
Social Studies (30 minutes a week)
- Citizenship Week 12 Work Packet. This activity can also be found on your child’s SeeSaw account.
- Ms. Maniscalco's Content and Literacy Page will also have activity suggestions for how to use this time.
Activities for English Language Learners (All students can use these)
- Days of the Week Song
- Months of the Year Song
- Alphabet Chart
- Story Elements Visual
- Alphabet Sounds Song
- Snap Words/Sight Word Song 1 VIDEO
- Snap Words/Sight Word Song 2 VIDEO
- Writing a Story Visual
- Character & Setting Visual
- Learn About Voting (username: studentca & password: studentca)
- Community Government_BOOK
- Election Day_BOOK
- Shape Song_VIDEO
- The 3 Sounds of "ed" Endings_VIDEO
- How Light Travels_VIDEO
Need extra help?
Contact your teacher on either e-mail, Class Dojo, or Google Voice (if they are using it) and they will set up the best way to help you and your child.
Mrs. Lubinski - Class Dojo, Clubinski@lowell.k12.ma.us , Google Voice 978-710-8616
Mrs. Lanzi- Class Dojo, Klanzi@lowell.k12.ma.us, Google Voice 978-710-8069
Ms. Nolan- Class Dojo, email@example.com , Google Voice 978-710-8332
Ms. Vieira- Class Dojo, firstname.lastname@example.org , Google Voice 339-234-9391
Special Ed Services
Mrs. Walton- Class Dojo, Kwalton@lowell.k12.ma.us , Google Voice 781-710-8455
English Language Services
Mrs. Geiger- Class Dojo, email@example.com
Other Services- If your child receives these services , please feel free to reach out to these teachers
Speech- Ms. Mahoney- Class Dojo, firstname.lastname@example.org ,Google Voice 978-419-1539
OT- Mrs. Villarroel- Class Dojo, email@example.com ,Google Voice 978-561-6193
Mrs. Espinola - firstname.lastname@example.org / phone: 978-337-8426
Mrs. Rabias - email@example.com/DoJo/phone(978) 226-3931
Math Resource Teacher
Mrs. Brown- Class Dojo, Sbrown@lowell.k12.ma.us , Google Voice 978-226-8234
Ms. Maniscalco- Class Dojo, Lmaniscalco@lowell.k12.ma.us
Ms. Lysz- Class Dojo, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Rogers- email@example.com
Ms. McDermott- Class Dojo, firstname.lastname@example.org , (978) 710-8619 Google