LPS ANNOUNCES 3 FINALISTS FOR LOWELL HIGH HEAD OF SCHOOL POSITION
This webpage is translated in the following langauges:
Lowell Public Schools is pleased to announce the three finalists for consideration for the Head of School role at Lowell High School (listed here in alphabetical order):
- Ian Charles most recently served as principal of Codman Academy, a charter school in Dorchester. He began his career as an educator in the Lowell Public Schools and continued his teaching career in Florida, before returning to Massachusetts. He went on to serve as both assistant principal and as a principal of schools in Massachusetts. He is currently a doctoral candidate at Northeastern University’s College of Professional Studies in the field of administrative leadership.
- Michael Fiato serves as a Targeted Assistance Manager for the Statewide System of Support at the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. Prior to joining DESE, he served as the Headmaster of Lawrence High School, and before that was a principal of one of the six high schools at Lawrence High.
- Dr. Sara P. Walsh currently serves as Principal of Algonquin Regional High School. She holds a teaching license in biology and mathematics, with an intense focus on physiology. She has also held roles as an Associate Principal, Assistant Principal, and Principal for the Springfield Public Schools.
The district held three virtual community forums, providing the public with the opportunity to meet each of the finalists and ask questions about their background and vision for Lowell High. In case you missed any of these forums, you can view them by clicking on the links below. The candidate survey links will remain open through Sunday, June 14.
Ian Charles (Tuesday, June 9)
Michael Fiato (Wednesday, June 10)
Sara Pragluski Walsh (Thursday, June 11)
Overall, 22 individuals applied for the position. The Lowell HIgh School Search Committee - which represents a diverse range of constituents including students, parents, teachers, administrators and community partners - identified and interviewed the top 12 candidates, before selecting the three finalists. The Search Committee was tasked with reviewing the job description, engaging in anti-bias orientation, reviewing input from the community survey, developing interview questions, reviewing application materials and proposing three finalists.
Members of the Search Committee include:
- Students: Jaeda Turner & Princess-Henna Wilson
- Parents: Heather Forythe, Luis Raudales, Brian Snow
- UTL (United Teachers of Lowell): Nancy Connelly, MaryAnn Dyson, Kristen Schultz
- LSAA (Lowell School Administrators Association): Deidre Haley & Rose Mendoca
- SEIU (Service Employees International Union): Joan Marias
- Higher ED Partners: Dr. Ellen Grondine, MCC & Dr. Phitsamy Uy, UML
- Community Organization: LZ Nunn, Project LEARN
- School Committee Member: Hilary Clark, Personnel Chair
- LPS Facilitators: Linus J. Guillory Jr., PhD & Daroth Yann, HR
After the community forums have taken place, the process will culminate with a final interview by Lowell Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Joel Boyd.