Today's Student Announcements
New Announcements - Thursday, 11/15/2018
~ The COMPASS Kind Program will continue to collect food and monetary donations for Thanksgiving baskets through this Friday 11/16. Donations can be brought to Mrs. Newcomb in 235 or Mrs. Martel in Freshman Guidance. Any donation is greatly appreciated!
~ Advisories: The Sun Santa Fundraiser will kick off after Thanksgiving. Details will come soon.
SPIRIT WEEK, November 15 - November 21st
~ Thursday, November 15th: Decades Day
~ Friday, November 16th : Beach Day
~Monday, November 19th: Sports Day
~ Tuesday, November 20th: Animal/Safari Day
~ Wednesday, November 21st : LHS Pride Day
SENIORS: Quotes are Due December 1, 2018. Senior Quotes must be cited from a published source.
Email quotes to firstname.lastname@example.org
~ Attention students going to Germany, Czech Republic and Poland in April: There will be a brief meeting on Tuesday November 13 right after school in room 132. Please see Mrs. Riley if you can not attend.
~The PALS program would like to thank who attended the field trip to Careers in Manufacturing and all the students that worked the Elections Polls on Tuesday.
ALL STUDENTS are invited to drop off children's books from pre-K to G5 for our BOOK NOOK DRIVE for students at the Greenhalge school. BOOK Drop off is until November 15 in R 209C.
See Ms. Correa for more information or simply place them on assigned bin.
~Essay contest - $10,000 prize. The Kennedy Library runs a national essay contest every year to Celebrate the birth of President John F. Kennedy. The essay is on political courage, with a top prize of $10,000 awarded, with other substantial awards, as well. If you are interested in details, please see Ms. Keefe, English Department Chair, in the Teacher Center. The deadline is January 18, 2019.
SENIOR DUES: Senior Dues are currently $100 dollars and can be paid at anytime in our Bursars Office located in the Athletic Office. Students who pay before the December Break will be entered in a drawing to win a set of Prom Tickets. After December Break the cost of the dues increases to $110.
~Athletic Registration is now open for the Winter Season at http://www.myredraiders.com
The PALS program invites all students and staff to donate gently used or new books for children ages 3 to age 12. The BookNook Drive is extended to December 14th.
Books can be dropped off in R209, Ms Correa's Office. Please call Ms Correa if you would like us to set up a box in your Advisory for Book Drop Off.
~The Future Educators of America Club will meet in room 214A after school on Tuesday.
~Love writing? Poetry? The writing club Expression Sessions will be meeting Tuesdays and Thursdays in room 711 (FA) from 2:45 - 3:45pm. See your English teacher for details!
~Have a Hat” Program is a service Club, which donates hats that we knit and crochet to area hospitals. Come and learn how to knit and crochet! We will meet Mondays until 3:15 p.m. and we serve snacks! All Staff is invited! Fulfill your service hours for volunteering in Room 019!
~Business Professionals of America will meet on Wednesday in Room 629. New members are welcomed to find out more about this club for any student as well as our National Leadership Conference in California in April 2019!.
~Join the Rainbow Alliance every Monday after school in Room 325 for snacks and fun. Please join us, and follow us on Instagram @LHSRainbow for news and updates.
~Sign ups for the International Language Club's trip to Québec City will begin next week. The trip is February 8-11. See your Foreign Language teacher or Mrs. Dyson in room 101 for more information.
~ Anyone who is interested in touring Germany, Czech Republic, and Poland during April Vacation of 2019, please see Ms. Riley in Room 132,Ms. Keefe in 329 or Mr. Thornton in Student Activities.
~Anyone interested in touring and traveling to the Dominican Republic during February Vacation of 2019 should see Mr. Taylor in room 629.
COLLEGE & CAREER
- Online college and career planning tool that students, grades 9-12, can access for FREE anytime
- To log in:
- Visit the LHS Homepage: https://www.lowell.k12.ma.us/Domain/8
- Click on the Naviance link under Parents & Students
- Click the large Naviance logo in the middle of the page
- Enter LHS Student ID for both the username & password
- Personalized high school plan: map out your courses, set goals, track your progress
- Career & personality surveys: explore career choices that match your interests
- Research colleges & scholarships
- And so much more---CHECK IT OUT!
**Upcoming Naviance Presentations: none at this time
**11th Grade English FAFSA Presentations: College Search Nov. 27-29
- College & Career Representative Visits:
- College representatives will be available during the school day to meet with any 11th/12th grader who would like to research their college options. Sign-ups are required, by logging onto your Naviance account or visiting Rm. 116.
- The following colleges will be available:
- Thurs. Nov. 8:
- Marines, All Lunches, Cafe
- Tues. Nov. 14
- MCC Application Days, 12:30pm, Rm. 116
- Lesley University, 1:30pm, Rm. 116
- Fri. Nov. 16:
- University of New Hampshire On the Spot, 10-11:30am
**12th GRADE ADVANCE SIGN UPS ONLY (registration closed)
- UMass Dartmouth On the Spot, 12-2pm
**12th GRADE ADVANCE SIGN UPS ONLY (registration closed)
*****Upcoming College/Career Rep Visits:
Mon. Nov. 26:
- UMass Lowell Application Days, 8-10:30am
- Rivier University On the Spot, 10am
**12th GRADE ADVANCE SIGN UPS ONLY
Wed. Nov. 28:
- Continental Hair Academy, 10:30am, Rm. 116
Thurs. Nov. 29:
- Northern Essex App Days, 10:30am, Rm. 116
Fri. Nov. 30:
- Worcester State On the Spot, 10am
12th GRADE ADVANCE SIGN UPS ONLY
- Naviance College Application Information (SENIORS):
- Any senior who plans to apply to college will use their Naviance accounts to build a college list and request letters of recommendations and transcripts from counselors and/or teachers
- College applications will be sent separately, by using Common Application (for those who accept it) or the college’s specific admission application; most applications are submitted online
- For those using Common Application, you must link this account to your Naviance account, using the Common App Match; watch the video on the guidance website, which explains how to do this
- Print out the Naviance College Application Procedureshandout on the guidance website & stop by the CCC, Rm. 116 for additional help
- Common Application (SENIORS):
- 12thgraders will need to complete the Common App Match before teachers/counselors can send documents to your colleges
- If you add an additional college to your list, you MUST SEE YOUR TEACHER/COUNSELOR TO RESEND LETTERS OF REC AND TRANSCRIPTS
- Be sure to add your colleges in your Common App list or your teachers/counselors cannot send your letters of rec
- If you are using Common App to apply, you must indicate this in your college list in Naviance
- Please do not use your LHS email to create an account for your college applications, as it will not accept emails outside of LHS; you will need to create a personal email to communicate with your colleges
- Letters of Recommendation for 12thGraders:
- Students should make their teacher request in person, followed by the Naviance request, which will generate an email to the teacher
- Students should use the Teacher Recommendation Request Form to help with the letter writing process, available in guidance & College & Career
- Students must list their colleges in Common App & complete the Common App Match in Naviance before staff can send documents
- Students will need to notify their teachers when they have added a new college to their list to request the teacher resend the letter to the new school
- Financial Aid/FAFSA:
- FAFSA: Students should log on beginning Oct. 1 to fafsa.govto begin the 2019-20 FAFSA financial aid application & create their FSA ID number; transfer tax information directly into your FAFSA application using the IRS retrieval option; check FAQ’s for required documents
- CSS Profile: If you are applying to a private college you may need to submit the CSS Profile financial aid form; beginning Oct. 1this form is available online at
collegeboard.org; fee waivers are automatically granted to eligible students; for additional info, please view the 2019-20 CSS Profile Guide online
- FREE FAFSA Appointments: register online at www.fafsaday.orgfor a free appointment at MCC on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019, 1:00pm
- Scholarships: Scholarships continue to be posted in Naviance under “colleges”, by clicking the “scholarships and money” link; the Honors Night Scholarship Program will open in late January for students with a 2.5+gpa who attended LHS during junior year and plan to pursue their education after high school
- SAT Information:
- The late registration deadline for theDec. 1 SAT is Nov. 20; register at collegeboard.org; fee waivers are available for eligible low-income students, please visit guidance or College & Career/Rm. 116
- The regular registration deadline for the Mar. 9 SAT is Feb. 8; register at collegeboard.org; fee waivers can be used to cover the late fee for eligible low-income students
- Remember to add 4 FREE colleges to your SAT registration to send scores, if you do not add these up to nine days after the test, you will pay $12 per score report (students who receive a fee waiver now receive unlimited score reports); all SAT scores must be sent via collegeboard
- Visit Rm. 116 to pick up your free study guide, register for a collegeboard.org account, and/or request a fee waiver (available to eligible students)
- ACT Information:
- The lateregistration deadline for the Dec. 8 ACT is Nov. 9; fee waivers do not cover the late fee; register online, www.act.org
- The registration deadlinefor the Feb. 9 ACT is Jan. 11; register online, www.act.org
- Visit Rm. 116 to pick up your free study guide, register for an act.org account, and/or request a fee waiver (available to eligible students)
- TOEFL Information:
- Computer based English-language test for non-native English speakers who have taken ELL courses in high school
- Ongoing registration and test dates available; register online http://www.ets.org/toefl
- Visit Rm. 116 for free study materials, register for an toefl.org account, and/or request a fee waiver (available to eligible students)
- PSAT Information:
- All 10th/11thgrade students who tested on the PSAT will receive an email in Dec. with their access code to log into collegeboard.org to check scores
- Don’t forget to link your collegeboard account with Khan Academy--once your PSAT scores are loaded, you will have a personalized study guide & FREE SAT prep
- Questions? Please contact Mr. Smith, Rm. 116
- AP Information:
- AP students that have not already done so, need to submit their AP Exam Registration Forms and Payment to Mr. Smith in room 116 no later than Friday, November 16th. Please see Mr. Smith with any issues or questions.
- 12thGrade Parent MEFA College Finance Workshop:
- Wed. Nov. 7, 6:00pm, LHS Cyrus Irish Auditorium
- Parents and students are invited to attend this financial aid workshop to learn more about the financial aid process, types of financial aid, scholarships, and alternative financing options
- FREE Rivier University Diversity Nursing Fieldtrip:
- Friday, Nov. 30, 8am-2pm; open to 11th/12thgraders who want to study nursing
- Permission slips available in CCC, Rm. 116 or from guidance
- Deadline to Submit Permission Slips: Mon. Nov. 26 to Rm. 116
- On the Spot Admission Days:
- 12thgraders applying to UMass Dartmouth, University of New Hampshire, Rivier University, Worcester State University, University of Southern Maine, Merrimack College, Johnson & Wales University, Southern NH University, Fitchburg State, Salem State University, Suffolk University and Framingham State are eligible to receive a same day decision through the On the Spot Program; applications must be submitted by the On the Spot deadline
- Students must sign up in Naviance to participate & see Mrs. Cassidy, Rm. 116
- FREE FAFSA Day Financial Aid Appointments:
- Saturday, Feb. 9, 1:00pm, Middlesex Community College, Lowell Campus, 33 Kearney Square
- Register online: www.fafsaday.org
- This is open to 12thgrade students who plan to attend any college after high school
- Career Information:
- Job Opportunities:
- The Career Center of Lowell is available every Wednesday, from 9-11:45am, ages 16+, for part time job assistance; sign up for an appointment in the College & Career Ctr., Student Support Services or with your guidance counselor
- Macy’s, Burlington Mall- contact Beatriz.Sierra@MassHire@GreaterLowell.com
- Kmart, Billerica, MA: apply at jobs.kmart.com/join or text JoinUs to 51893
- Volunteer Opportunities:
- United Way of Massachusetts Bay & Merrimack Valley
- Volunteer Match https://www.volunteermatch.org/search?l=Lowell,%20MA,%20USA
- Military Visits:
- US Navy, Army & Marines: available each month in the cafe Oct-May; see dates listed in Naviance