Today's Student Announcements
Lowell High School Announcements - Friday, May 24, 2019
NEW ~Any grade 12 student who believes they have perfect attendance for any of their four years at Lowell High must see their house clerk by May 24th.
NEW ~ Seniors : Cap & Gown Distribution will be on June 3 at 9:35 in the Gymnasium.
NEW ~ Seniors: Those Seniors who signed up for the Graduation Walk on June 4th, please meet in the Cafeteria on June 4th at 8am.
NEW ~ Anime Club will meet in the Cafeteria today after school.
~ Juniors, 2020 Class Officer Candidate Forms are due today!
~ Prom Tickets are on sale today during all lunches. Tickets are $65 each and may only be bought by a senior. The prom is on May 28 at 6:30pm at the Lowell Memorial Auditorium.
~ Any student who has not picked up their Yearbook may pick it up in Student Activities during their lunch.
~ The PALS program continues to meet in R 209 every Wednesday at 2:30 pm.
Please stop by and check us out. Students have eagerly been choosing their internships.
~ BUC Step Team: Practices are held in the cafeteria on Tues & Wed from 2:30- 4:30, and as needed in mornings, evenings and sometimes weekends.
~Business Professionals of America will meet on Wednesday in Room 629. New members are welcomed to find out more about this club for any student as well as our National Leadership Conference in California in April 2019!.
~Join the Rainbow Alliance every Monday after school in Room 325 for snacks and fun. Please join us, and follow us on Instagram @LHSRainbow for news and updates.
~ A few spots still remain on the Italy & Greece during April Vacation of 2020. If you would like additional information, please see Mr. Taylor in room 629 for further details.
~ Students interested in traveling to Paris, Provence, and the French Riviera in February 2020 please see Chef Brassard in room 017 for more information.
~ Students interested in traveling to Spain in April 2020 please see Mrs Dyson in room 101 or Mr Gervais in Student Support for more information.
~ Students interested in traveling to Dublin, Ireland, Belfast No. Ireland, Edinburgh, Scotland, and London, England please see Mr. Thornton in the Student Activities for information.
College & Career
- Naviance College Application Information (SENIORS):
- Any senior who plans to apply to college will use their Naviance accounts to build a college list and request letters of recommendations and transcripts from counselors and/or teachers
- College applications will be sent separately, by using Common Application (for those who accept it) or the college’s specific admission application; most applications are submitted online
- For those using Common Application, you must link this account to your Naviance account, using the Common App Match; watch the video on the guidance website, which explains how to do this
- If you are using Common App, you MUST indicate this in Naviance, by answering the question, Are You Applying via Common App?—if you do not complete this section, teachers & counselors cannot send their letters
- Fee waiver eligible students will find their college app fee waivers in their CollegeBoard account; Common App colleges do not require fee waiver eligible students to send the card, unless instructed to do so, double check your application status online or contact admissions to know for sure
- Print out the Naviance College Application Procedureshandout on the guidance website & stop by the CCC, Rm. 116 for additional help
- Letters of Recommendation for 12thGraders:
- Students should make their teacher request in person, followed by the Naviance request, which will generate an email to the teacher
- Students should use the Teacher Recommendation Request Form to help with the letter writing process, available in guidance & College & Career
- Students must list their colleges in Common App & complete the Common App Match in Naviance before staff can send documents
- Students will need to notify their teachers when they have added a new college to their list to request the teacher resend the letter to the new school
- Common Application:
- 12thgraders will need to complete the Common App Match before teachers/counselors can send documents to your colleges
- If you add an additional college to your list, you MUST SEE YOUR TEACHER/COUNSELOR TO RESEND LETTERS OF REC AND TRANSCRIPTS
- Be sure to add your colleges in your Common App list or your teachers/counselors cannot send your letters of rec
- If you are using Common App to apply, you must indicate this in your college list in Naviance
- Financial Aid/Scholarship Information:
- FAFSA: Students should log on beginning Oct. 1 to fafsa.govto begin the 2019-20 FAFSA financial aid application & create their FSA ID number; transfer 2017 tax information directly into your FAFSA application using the IRS retrieval option; check FAQ’s for required documents
- CSS Profile: If you are applying to a private college you may need to submit the CSS Profile financial aid form; beginning Oct. 1this form is available online at
collegeboard.org; fee waivers are automatically granted to eligible students; for additional info, please view the 2017-18 CSS Profile Guide online
- Financial Aid Award Letters: check your online student account for award letter; be sure to compare award letters before you submit a deposit by May 1
- Scholarships: A list of general scholarships is available in students’ Naviance accounts; to apply you must log-in, click on the colleges link, then “Scholarships & Money” to review each scholarship’s eligibility criteria
- 12thGrade LHS Honors Night Scholarships: Students who are selected to receive an Honors Night Scholarship will receive an Honor Awards Night invitation the first week of May & an invitation list will be posted on CCC door
- PSAT Information:
- All 10th/11thgrade students who tested on the PSAT should have received an email in Dec. with their access code to log into collegeboard.org to check scores
- Don’t forget to link your CollegeBoard account with Khan Academy--once your PSAT scores are loaded, you will have a personalized study guide & FREE SAT prep
- Questions? Please contact Mr. Smith, Rm. 116
- SAT Information:
- The registration deadline for the May 4 SAT is Apr. 5; register at collegeboard.org; the late registration deadline is Apr. 24and a fee waiver can be used to cover the late fee
- The registration deadline for the June 1 SAT is May 3; register at collegeboard.org; the late registration deadline is May 22and a fee waiver can be used to cover the late fee
- Remember to add your colleges to your registration- you have 4 free score reports from the time you register until 9 days after you test, thereafter you will pay an $12 fee; fee waiver eligible students unlimited lifetime score report credits in your SAT account, check this before you pay the fee
- Plan ahead and log onto www.khanacademy.orgnow for FREE SAT prep
- Visit Rm. 116 to register for a collegeboard.org account, and/or request a fee waiver (available to eligible students)
- ACT Information:
- The registration deadlinefor the June 8 ACT is May 8 and the late registration deadline is May 4-20; register online at www.act.org; fee waivers are available for eligible students, but will not cover the late fee
- Visit Rm. 116 to pick up your free study guide, register for an act.org account, and/or request a fee waiver (available to eligible students)
- TOEFL Information:
- Computer based English-language test for non-native English speakers who have taken ELL courses in high school
- Ongoing registration and test dates available; register online http://www.ets.org/toefl
- Visit Rm. 116 for free study materials, register for an toefl.org account, and/or request a fee waiver (available to eligible students)
- UMASS Lowell Application Days:
- Feb. 11, Mar. 18, Apr. 1, 8-11am, Rm. 116- UML will be available to help juniors plan ahead for next year’s college application process, including SAT optional and Early Action
- MCC Application Days:
- Jan. 23, Feb. 27, Mar. 20 & Apr. 24, 9:30-10:30am, Rm. 116-MCC will be available to help seniors complete their MCC application
- Northern Essex Community College Application Days:
- Feb. 14, Mar. 14, Apr. 11, 9:30-10:30am, Rm. 116- NECC will be available to help seniors complete their NECC application
- Job Fair for LHS students Age 16+
- April 11, 3:00-5:00pm, LHS Cafeteria
- Must be aged 16+
- AP Pre-Administration Sessions
- Apr. 22 & 23, Sessions ongoing throughout the day, Little Theater
- Mandatory Pre-Admin sessions for all AP students during your first AP course period of the day
- Volunteer Opportunities:
- United Way of Massachusetts Bay & Merrimack Valley
- Volunteer Match https://www.volunteermatch.org/search?l=Lowell,%20MA,%20USA
- Pre College Summer Programs
- MA 4 Yr. College Summer Programs (visit admission website)
Babson, Bentley, Berklee College of Music, Boston University, Brandeis, Emerson, Hampshire, Harvard, MIT, Smith, Springfield College, Tufts, WPI
- Check listings in Naviance under Colleges Home/Enrichment Programs
- Career Information:
- MassHire Greater Lowell Career Centeris available every Wednesday, from
9-11:45am, ages 16+, for part time job assistance; sign up in the College & Career Center in Rm. 116 or see your guidance counselor
- Military Information:
- US Navy, Army, Marines & Army National Guard available each month in the cafe Jan-May; see dates listed in Naviance
- Serious about joining? Study now for your ASVAB test which includes Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension & Mathematics Knowledge—a higher score improves your chances of getting the specialty/job &
- signing bonus you want
- ASVAB test prep: https://www.march2success.com/main/index-login to create an account & focus on the “high school math & verbal skills” section