Today's Student Announcements
Lowell High School Announcements - Friday, March 22, 2019
NEW ~ This year's spring musical, "Shrek the Musical", is now in rehearsals. There are still opportunities for students to participate in the ensemble. Contact Dr. Clark if you are interested. "Shrek the Musical" will be performed May 17th & 18th at 7pm and Sunday, May 19th at 2pm in the Cyrus W. Irish Auditorium.
NEW ~ Smash Brothers Tournament for LHS students only, tomorrow afternoon, Friday, 3/22, right after school in the Little Theatre, $5 entry fee.
NEW ~ Calling all writers! Poetry Club meets every Tuesday in room 128 at 2:45. Come and learn more about poetry slams, writing workshops, and open mics.
NEW ~ VOLUNTEERS NEEDED for LHS "GREEN PROJECT" to empty recyclables collected from the PE facilities once/week.
~ The Compass Environmental Program and the LHS TREES group invite you to the third annual Environmental Youth Conference.
Last year’s conference was a blast and we are hoping to have even more folks join us this year to discuss ways to help our planet. The conference is Saturday March 23, 2019 from 10 am to 3 pm at Lowell High School Freshman Academy. It will be a fun filled day with hands on activities, great guest speakers, workshops, project sharing and lunch! It is FREE and open to ALL.
Contact Ms. Keefe with any questions - email@example.com
~ Seniors Please write a SHOUT OUT to a teacher, club advisor, coach or staff member for the yearbook! Let that person know that you are grateful or remind them of a funny memory! Please email your shout outs to firstname.lastname@example.org soon so that they can be added to the book!
~ There will be a Job Fair for all students interested in a part time job on April 11 from 3pm to 5pm in the Lowell High School Cafeteria.
~ Join the Rainbow Alliance will meet Monday after school in Room 325 for Pizza.
~ The PALS program continues to meet in R 209 every Wednesday at 2:30 pm.
Please stop by and check us out. Students have eagerly been choosing their internships.
~ BUC Step Team: Practices are held in the cafeteria on Tues & Wed from 2:30- 4:30, and as needed in mornings, evenings and sometimes weekends.
~Business Professionals of America will meet on Wednesday in Room 629. New members are welcomed to find out more about this club for any student as well as our National Leadership Conference in California in April 2019!.
~Join the Rainbow Alliance every Monday after school in Room 325 for snacks and fun. Please join us, and follow us on Instagram @LHSRainbow for news and updates.
~ Would you like to go to Italy & Greece during April Vacation of 2020? There will be an interest meeting next Monday, February 11th at 6:00 PM in the LHS Cafeteria. If you are not able to attend the meeting or would like additional information, please see Mr. Taylor in room 629 for further details.
~ Students interested in traveling to Paris, Provence, and the French Riviera in February 2020 please see Chef Brassard in room 017 for more information.
~ Students interested in traveling to Spain in April 2020 please see Mrs Dyson in room 101 or Mr Gervais in Student Support for more information.
~ Students interested in traveling to Dublin, Ireland, Belfast No. Ireland, Edinburgh, Scotland, and London, England please see Mr. Thornton in the Student Activities for information.
College & Career
- College & Career Representative Visits:
- College representatives will be available during the school day to meet with any 11th/12thgrader who would like to research their college options. Sign-ups are required, by logging onto your Naviance account or visiting Rm. 116.
- Middlesex Community College App Days, 9:30-10:30am, Rm. 116
¯ Thursday, Mar. 21
¯ 1. Army National Guard, All Lunches, Cafeteria
- Naviance College Application Information (SENIORS):
- Any senior who plans to apply to college will use their Naviance accounts to build a college list and request letters of recommendations and transcripts from counselors and/or teachers
- College applications will be sent separately, by using Common Application (for those who accept it) or the college’s specific admission application; most applications are submitted online
- For those using Common Application, you must link this account to your Naviance account, using the Common App Match; watch the video on the guidance website, which explains how to do this
- If you are using Common App, you MUST indicate this in Naviance, by answering the question, Are You Applying via Common App?—if you do not complete this section, teachers & counselors cannot send their letters
- Fee waiver eligible students will find their college app fee waivers in their CollegeBoard account; Common App colleges do not require fee waiver eligible students to send the card, unless instructed to do so, double check your application status online or contact admissions to know for sure
- Print out the Naviance College Application Procedureshandout on the guidance website & stop by the CCC, Rm. 116 for additional help
- Letters of Recommendation for 12thGraders:
- Students should make their teacher request in person, followed by the Naviance request, which will generate an email to the teacher
- Students should use the Teacher Recommendation Request Form to help with the letter writing process, available in guidance & College & Career
- Students must list their colleges in Common App & complete the Common App Match in Naviance before staff can send documents
- Students will need to notify their teachers when they have added a new college to their list to request the teacher resend the letter to the new school
- Common Application:
- 12thgraders will need to complete the Common App Match before teachers/counselors can send documents to your colleges
- If you add an additional college to your list, you MUST SEE YOUR TEACHER/COUNSELOR TO RESEND LETTERS OF REC AND TRANSCRIPTS
- Be sure to add your colleges in your Common App list or your teachers/counselors cannot send your letters of rec
- If you are using Common App to apply, you must indicate this in your college list in Naviance
- Financial Aid/Scholarship Information:
- FAFSA: Students should log on beginning Oct. 1 to fafsa.govto begin the 2019-20 FAFSA financial aid application & create their FSA ID number; transfer 2017 tax information directly into your FAFSA application using the IRS retrieval option; check FAQ’s for required documents
- CSS Profile: If you are applying to a private college you may need to submit the CSS Profile financial aid form; beginning Oct. 1this form is available online at
collegeboard.org; fee waivers are automatically granted to eligible students; for additional info, please view the 2017-18 CSS Profile Guide online
- Financial Aid Award Letters: check your online student account for award letter; be sure to compare award letters before you submit a deposit by May 1
- Scholarships: A list of general scholarships is available in students’ Naviance accounts; to apply you must log-in, click on the colleges link, then “Scholarships & Money” to review each scholarship’s eligibility criteria
- 12thGrade LHS Honors Night Scholarships: Students who are selected to receive an Honors Night Scholarship will receive an Honor Awards Night invitation the first week of May & an invitation list will be posted on CCC door.
- 11thGrade Scholarships:
- QuestBridge College Prep Scholars Program (summer program): QuestBridge College Prep Scholars Program gives outstanding, low-income high school juniors in the top 5-10% of their class with 1280+ PSAT/SAT scores an early advantage in college admissions with their summer program; College Prep Scholars are uniquely prepared to gain admission and full scholarships to top-tier colleges through QuestBridge; the majority are also selected as Finalists for the National College Match, a full, four year college scholarship during senior year
- Deadline to Apply: March 20, 2019
- PSAT Information:
- All 10th/11thgrade students who tested on the PSAT should have received an email in Dec. with their access code to log into collegeboard.org to check scores
- Don’t forget to link your CollegeBoard account with Khan Academy--once your PSAT scores are loaded, you will have a personalized study guide & FREE SAT prep
- Questions? Please contact Mr. Smith, Rm. 116
- SAT Information:
- The registration deadline for the May 4 SAT is Apr. 5; register at collegeboard.org; the late registration deadline is Apr. 24and a fee waiver can be used to cover the late fee
- Remember to add your colleges to your registration- you have 4 free score reports from the time you register until 9 days after you test, thereafter you will pay an $12 fee; fee waiver eligible students unlimited lifetime score report credits in your SAT account, check this before you pay the fee
- Plan ahead and log onto www.khanacademy.orgnow for FREE SAT prep
- Visit Rm. 116 to register for a collegeboard.org account, and/or request a fee waiver (available to eligible students)
- ACT Information:
- The registration deadlinefor the Apr. 13 ACT is Mar. 8 and the late registration deadline is Mar. 25;register online at www.act.org; fee waivers are available for eligible students, but will not cover the late fee
- The registration deadline for the June 8 ACT is May 3
- Visit Rm. 116 to pick up your free study guide, register for an act.org account, and/or request a fee waiver (available to eligible students)
- TOEFL Information:
- Computer based English-language test for non-native English speakers who have taken ELL courses in high school
- Ongoing registration and test dates available; register online http://www.ets.org/toefl
- Visit Rm. 116 for free study materials, register for an toefl.org account, and/or request a fee waiver (available to eligible students)
- UMASS Lowell Application Days:
- Feb. 11, Mar. 18, Apr. 1, 8-11am, Rm. 116- UML will be available to help juniors plan ahead for next year’s college application process, including SAT optional and Early Action
- MCC Application Days:
- Jan. 23, Feb. 27, Mar. 20 & Apr. 24, 9:30-10:30am, Rm. 116-MCC will be available to help seniors complete their MCC application
- Northern Essex Community College Application Days:
- Feb. 14, Mar. 14, Apr. 11, 9:30-10:30am, Rm. 116- NECC will be available to help seniors complete their NECC application
- FREE 12thGrade MCC FIELDTRIP
- Middlesex Community College is hosting a free fieldtrip on Wed. Apr. 3, 8:00am-2:15pm, for any 12thgrader who plans to attend MCC after graduation. Students will visit the Bedford Campus and attend an admissions presentation. Get your permission slip from College & Career, Rm. 116—spots on the bus are first come, first serve & the deadline is Mar. 27 to return slips.
- FREE 11th/12thGrade Career Con “A College to Career Day” Fieldtrip
- Middlesex Community College is hosting a free fieldtrip on Wed. Mar. 27; 20 spots are available on a first come first serve basis & the deadline for permission slips is Mar. 20; students will meet with professionals across a variety of careers to develop their skills around networking, resume writing & interviewing
- AP Pre-Administration Sessions
- Apr. 22 & 23, Sessions ongoing throughout the day, Little Theater
- Mandatory Pre-Admin sessions for all AP students during your first AP course period of the day
- Volunteer Opportunities:
- United Way of Massachusetts Bay & Merrimack Valley
- Volunteer Match https://www.volunteermatch.org/search?l=Lowell,%20MA,%20USA
- Pre College Summer Programs
- MA 4 Yr. College Summer Programs (visit admission website)
Babson, Bentley, Berklee College of Music, Boston University, Brandeis, Emerson, Hampshire, Harvard, MIT, Smith, Springfield College, Tufts, WPI
- Check listings in Naviance under Colleges Home/Enrichment Programs
- Career Information:
- MassHire Greater Lowell Career Centeris available every Wednesday, from
9-11:45am, ages 16+, for part time job assistance; sign up in the College & Career Center in Rm. 116 or see your guidance counselor
- Military Information:
- US Navy, Army, Marines & Army National Guard available each month in the cafe Jan-May; see dates listed in Naviance
- Serious about joining? Study now for your ASVAB test which includes Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension & Mathematics Knowledge—a higher score improves your chances of getting the specialty/job & signing bonus you want
- ASVAB test prep: https://www.march2success.com/main/index-login to create an account & focus on the “high school math & verbal skills” section