Mask Mandate Update
Dear Lowell Public Schools Students, Families, and Staff,
The mask mandate instituted by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) set to expire on November 1 has been extended to at least January 15, 2022.
Schools will continue to follow the following mask guidelines:
- Students 5-years-old and older, staff, and visitors are required to wear masks indoors while at school or on a school bus. Masks are not required when outdoors. Students may use cloth masks or disposable masks. Students should plan to bring their own mask to school. Schools will also have a supply for students who lose or damage their masks.
- It is important to send your child with a face mask that fits properly (covering the nose and mouth) and is comfortable. Cloth face masks should have multiple layers (2-3) for the best protection. Face masks that have an exhalation valve, gaiters, and/or bandanas are prohibited.
- It is strongly recommended that children younger than 5 also wear masks in school.
- Students and staff who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons, and students who cannot wear a mask for behavioral reasons, are exempted from the requirement. Face shields may be an option for students with medical or behavioral needs who are unable to wear masks or face coverings. Transparent masks may be the best option for both teachers and students in classes for deaf or hard-of-hearing students.
- Masks may be removed indoors when eating, drinking, during designated mask breaks, or when participating in a class or activity where masks cannot be worn, such as when playing a wind instrument in band.
- Masks are required for any sports-related activity for student-athletes and coaches when indoors.
Thank you for your continued cooperation in this matter.
Dr. Joel D. Boyd
Superintendent of Schools