Vision of G.R.I.T.
The Lowell Career Academy offers a gateway for its students to achieve current goals through rigorous academics, exposure to career development and building the social-emotional skills needed to get there. Our students develop strong, healthy relationships based on respect and tolerance. They are inventive thinkers and attack all goals with tenacity and perseverance. By engaging and partnering with the community, we provide a comprehensive network of supports that traverse out-of-school barriers and prepare students for success beyond high school. The student’s Career Academy experience culminates as they embark on a path to reach their future goals of meaningful careers, maintaining solid relationships and being productive citizens.
The Career Academy re-engages off-track students to become successful in a setting with increased supports, smaller classes, flexible scheduling, and competency-based teaching and learning.
Successful Career Academy learners...
- are more comfortable in a smaller setting
- need increased academic and social-emotional support
- develop healthy peer and adult relationships with additional structures
- need flexible scheduling
- want ownership of their academics and future plan
- are able to generalize instruction for daily application
- are ready to re-engage after a having gaps in learning
- are ready to make appropriate choices after having a record of school disciplinary issues and/or are court-involved
- have previously demonstrated success in an alternative education program