WHAT IS A SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL?
We need to vote in our School Site Council for the 2020-2021 school year. School Site Council is tasked with the following three tasks each year.
- Develop a Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) - How can the school improve?
- Align the budget to the goals of the QIP.
- Hire a principal (If needed)
If you are interested please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information.
Here is all of the information for review.
WHO SHOULD BE ON THE SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL?
How many members should the council contain?
The law leaves it up to each principal, "pursuant to a representative process approved by the superintendent and school committee," to define the size and composition of the council. It does, however, make three stipulations about membership.
- Parents "shall have parity with professional personnel on the school councils." Regardless of the size of the council, the number of parent representatives must be equal to the number of teachers who serve on the council plus the principal.
- "Not more than fifty percent of the council shall be non-school members." "Non-school members" are defined as members who are "other than parents, teachers, students and staff at the school."
- The membership of school councils "should be broadly representative of the racial and ethnic diversity of the school building and community."
Currently, we need another teacher participant and another parent.
WHAT'S THE TIME COMMITMENT?
We have about 6-8 different meetings each year and they all last about 1 hour each. We will be meeting virtually this year using Zoom. We meet more often from February- April when the budget for the 2021-2022 school year is being developed. Here is the tentative schedule. All meetings are at 8am-9am.
September 30, 2021 - introduction to School Council
October 27, 2021 Finalize SSC Members and review goals from 21-22
November assess QIP
January 12, 2021 - Start Quality Improvement Plan
February 9, 2021 - Quality Improvement Plan (QIP)
February 23, 2021 - Budget
March 23, 2021 - Continue QIP + Budget
April 13, 2021 - Finalize Plan