Public Records Request - Records Access Officer (RAO)
In accordance with the amended state public records law, Chapter 121 of the Acts of 2016, the Lowell Public School District has designated Attorneys, Michael Ortiz and Jane Mosher-Canty, as the individuals responsible for responding to public records requests.
They may be contacted at 978-674-2123 and 978-674-2124 or via email at RAO@lowell.k12.ma.us. The Lowell Public School District Central Administrative Offices are located at 155 Merrimack Street, Lowell, Massachusetts, 01852.
The duties of the Records Access Officer are established by statute and include:
- Coordinating Lowell School District’s response to public records requests;
- Assisting individuals who seek records to identify the records sought;
- Assisting the custodian of records to preserve public records in accordance with the law;
- Preparing, posting online and periodically updating guidelines to enable the public to make informed public records requests; and
- Documenting, in compliance with c. 66 § 6A(e), specific information about each request made for public records.
Please contact one of the Records Access Officers in writing regarding public records requests for documents pursuant to A Guide to the Massachusetts Public Records Law, as published by William Francis Galvin, Secretary of the Commonwealth. Records will generally be provided in electronic format within 10 business days barring an exception. In this case the Records Access Officer will contact the requestor with an explanation for the delay and a good faith estimate of any fees that may be charged for the production of the records and a reasonable timeframe for when the records will be provided, which generally will not exceed 25 business days from the initial request. The appointed alternate RAO for the Lowell Public Schools are Attorneys Michael Ortiz and Jane Mosher-Canty.
For questions or more information, please feel free to contact them at 978-674-2123 or 978-674-2124.