Preschool Registration Information
Use this page to guide you through the registration and enrollment process for preschool. Children turning 4 years old prior to September 1, 2020 are eligible to register for preschool.
Before you register at the Family Resource Center, we recommend that you:
- Gather documents needed for registration including the child’s birth certificate and immunization records.
- Bring photo ID of parent/guardian registering the child.
- Bring copy of current utility bill, lease, or mortgage. (Dated within the last thirty days) If you are living with a Lowell resident, you will need to complete a third party affidavit. Please use this link for more information on Third Party Affidavits: Information on Third Party Affidavits and McKinney-Vento
Please have a conversation with us if you are unable to produce sufficient documentation or if your housing is insecure. We abide by McKinney-Vento.
- Visit schools
- Consider needs for before and after school care.
- Identify three school choices. You may select any three schools offering preschool programming. Please refer to the zone chart for available schools that offer preschool.
- Register your child at the Family Resource Center at 151 Merrimack Street, Lowell, MA between March 16 and March 27, 2020. The registration period will be open again between April 13 and April 30, 2020.
Family Resource Center Hours
The Family Resource Center is open Monday-Friday from 7am-4pm. The following dates have extended hours for preschool registration: March 16, 17 and 18 from 7am-6pm; March 21 (Saturday) from 8am-noon; March 25 from 7am-6pm; April 15 and 29 from 7am-6pm.
Preschool Lottery Held on May 4, 2020
- All children pre-registering will be assigned a lottey number.
- Pre-registered families will receive written notification providing the student’s lottery number and their proposed school assignment in June.
- Upon receiving written notification of preschool assignment, families MUST respond selecting form one of the following options:
- Accept placement
- Accept placement and remain on waitlist for preferred school
- Reject placement and remain on waitlist for preferred school
- Reject placement and seek alternative preschool programming
Families MUST return the proposed assignment letter within 15 days to the Early Childhood Department indicating one of the selections above.
- Upon receipt of your written selection, the Early Childhood Department will issue an official placement letter.
- Attend Preschool and Kindergarten Celebration Event at Boarding House Park 10-11:30am on August 26, 2020 (rain date August 27, 2020).
- In August you will receive a letter from your child’s school with their teacher assignment
- Attend the open house at your child's school
- Meet the teacher and staff (ask questions)
- Find out about drop off and pick up procedures
- Begin establishing a regular bedtime routine
- Get ready to make new friends and learn through discovery