Kindergarten Registration Information
Use this page to guide you through the registration and enrollment process for kindergarten. Children turning 5 years old prior to September 1, 2020 are eligible to register for kindergarten.
Before you register at the Family Resource Center, we recommend that you:
- Gather documents needed for registration including the child’s birth certificate and immunization records.
- Bring photo ID of parent/guardian registering the child.
- Bring copy of current utility bill, lease, or mortgage. (Dated within the last thirty days) If you are living with a Lowell resident, you will need to complete a third party affidavit. Please use this link for more information on Third Party Affidavits: Information on Third Party Affidavits and McKinney-Vento
If you are unable to bring a copy of current utility bill, lease, or mortgage statementPlease have a conversation with us if you are unable to produce sufficient documentation or if your housing is insecure. We abide by McKinney-Vento.
- Visit schools
- Consider needs for before and after school care.
- Identify three school choices. Lowell is split into two zones – Zone 1 and Zone 2. You may select a school in the zone where you live, or you may select one of the citywide schools. Please refer to the zone map and zone chart for more details.
- Register your child at the Family Resource Center at 151 Merrimack Street, Lowell, MA between March 30 and April 9, 2020. The registration period will be open again between April 13 and April 30, 2020.
Family Resource Center Hours
The Family Resource Center is open Monday-Friday from 7am-4pm. The following dates have extended hours for registration: March 30, 31 and April 1 from 7am-6pm; April 4 (Saturday) from 8am-noon; April 8, 15 and 29 from 7am-6pm.
Kindergarten Lottery Held on May 4, 2020
- All children pre-registering during spring enrollment will be eligible for the kindergarten lottery.
- Lotteries are held for any school when we have more families requesting a school than we have available seats.
- If a school has a lottery all pre-registered students will be placed in the lottery. Seats will be assigned based on the student’s place in the lottery and the assignment policy (e.g. siblings will have preference) The lottery is open to the public and held at the Family Resource Center.
- After the lottery, families will receive a letter with their school assignment for kindergarten. School assignment letters are mailed out by the end of May.
- Families do not need to return anything to the Family Resource once they have their placement. However, if they have a question about their child’s placement, they may meet with the Family Resource Center Coordinator.
- In August you will receive a letter from your child’s school with their teacher assignment
- Request to meet the teacher and staff (ask questions)
- Find out about drop off and pick up procedures
- Begin establishing a regular bedtime routine
- Get ready to make new friends and learn through discovery